Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pathways to Beauty

 Emerson said "The earth laughs in flowers."

  There was plenty of laughter this weekend for my sister Laurie and I as we attended the Master Gardener tour.  This wonderful tour happens every year and this is the first time I have gone.  My cousin Karen has her garden on the tour this year so that was my incentive. 
Bursting blooms, riotous color and delicate scents captured our attention as soon as we stepped into the first garden.

The humidity has been great for all the hostas this year.



 Wandering through mulched paths into tiny garden rooms we came across small touches of flower amidst the lush greenery. 

 Obviously this gardener does not have male dogs who seem to delight in my yard in changing the color of the hostas.  Is it only in cartoons that the dogs only prefer trees and fire hydrants?  At my house, Oscar prefers the hostas.



 Laurie and I both have shade gardens so it was enjoyable to see the way bursts of color were woven into some very deep shade. 



 Some delicate maidenhair fern that Laurie had to touch to make sure it was real! 
 And garden rooms complete with chandeliers and touches of whimsy.


 I wrote down the name of this lovely tree but of course lost my paper.  The leaves were cream colored with a touch of pink.  The sun shining through made it look more pink than it actually was. 
 Looking at this wonderful display sent us into fits of giggles because it was while standing here I realized that the reason i couldn't become a master gardener wasn't because of lack of imagination, or desire....... or even hard work.  It was the one thing that I saw evident in all these gardens.  MONEY!!!  These wonderful urns, pots and yard art had to have cost a fortune.


 But wait!!  This next garden was beautiful with only rocks, succulents and cacti.  No yard art in sight.  OK....maybe there is hope for me yet.  But the fact that I have no large patches of sun in my yard will probably defeat this idea.
 Beautiful water features meandered along the paths on our tour. 
 The clematis was in bloom everywhere in wonderful colors both in shade and in sun.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that a pesky vine that I rip off my fence every year and last year finally killed, was indeed an autumn clematis.  If I had left it alone it would have bloomed beautifully in August and September.  Thankfully my cousin took pity on my ignorance and sent me home last night with a nice section of one of hers so I can start again -  and this time have patience for the bloom!
 More clematis
Fairies guarded the gardens.  Apparently they come in all varieties.

 Bird baths in all shapes and sizes were tucked under trees and into corners of the garden.
"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck."  Emma Goldman

The fragrance of climbers, shrub roses and tea roses perfumed the air.  There is something sweet and nostalgic about the rose.  Many yards had the wonderful David Austin rose with a fragrance so sweet that I must find it for my own yard!




The fairies in this yard had their own front door at the base of a tree!


And later we found their little village!


One of my favorite gardens was situated on two acres.  The top part of the yard was planned and contained but the back part had paths winding down the hillside, over a bridge and along a delightful creek.  It was hot, the air was humid and even though the trudge back up the hillside was exhausting the narrow path through the woods was still inviting!



Laurie can't resist the lure of the rose, even though several bees were there before her!
 
My favorite garden belonged to my cousin Karen.  These beautiful roses and larkspur bordered her whole back yard and were the backdrop of her lovely swimming pool!




There was even a little fairy peeking from the flowers and guarding the swimmers 
in her garden!


"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead
where there is no path
and leave a trail."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

And so it was a wonderful day, full of beauty, ramblings and laughter.  But most importantly enjoying God's gift of my beautiful sister and the world he made for us!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place!
    You might want to consider visiting the Ozarks again, but if you do, please don't bring Oscar to our yard. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Connie. You can rest assured that Oscar doesn't get to go anywhere. I don't know what it is with male dogs. At least with him. He goes out of his way to make sure he waters my flowers instead of the various trees that are in the yard.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful tour! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete