Friday, December 20, 2013

Gifts, Glitz, Greed and Ice

Well I am finally ready.  I wrapped the last gift of the second batch of wrapping last night.  What a relief!  This year I didn't have to mail anything which is probably why I was so slow getting things done.  Next year I am going to go back to my old routine of doing the bulk of the shopping in October.  This year I basically started the day before Thanksgiving and did some of my shopping on Black Friday and on-line.  So I was really upset to hear about how Target stores were tapped into and the customers accounts compromised because I made several trips to Target during that time frame with my trusty credit card.  So far we have found nothing amiss. 

I don't understand the greed and corruption of people who think nothing of stealing from others, whether it's money, your identity, or as in the case of the woman at the Des Moines Airport, a costly diamond ring grabbed when the owner walked away and left it on the table.  But just because it's the season of love and good cheer doesn't change human nature I guess.  My sister will never purchase anything on line and now it appears that it's not safe to buy from the store at the cash register either.  I have decided maybe it's best to buy local at the small shops and pay cash!

This season I have really enjoyed listening to my grandchildren play Christmas songs on the piano, guitar and violin.  There is just something about the sweet old melodies of favorite Christmas songs that is uplifting, whether it be Silent Night, Beautiful Star of Bethlehem, or Rockin Around the Christmas Tree.

 




Liam plays the violin beautifully and is now learning the electric guitar.  He will soon be excelling in that instrument also.  But the sweeter sound for Christmas songs definitely comes from  his violin.

 This picture of one of our violins didn't turn out well.  I didn't want to open his case and pull out the one he usually uses.



 And Shannon has been baking Christmas cookies!  I love it when the sweet smell of sugar cookies fills the house.  This weekend we will move on to fudge, toffee and chocolate covered peanut butter rolls.

 

 This was the sight that greeted me this morning when I looked out the window.  We had rain last night and a solid sheet of ice covered everything.  It was going to be a challenge to get to my last day of work until January 2nd!

 

Maybe it would be better to just stay home and make some nice tea! But no, I had to get dressed and ready to brave the fun of the drive.


Meanwhile, Polly and Oscar are wondering if it's not too early to open their Christmas presents.  Such sweet dogs.  They give such love and affection.  Polly is thirteen, overweight, settled into her stubborn ways, but loves us unconditionally.  Oscar, only two always has a bright outlook on life and a mischievous gleam in his eye.


And I have finished three knitted Christmas gifts.  Here's a scarf just before it went into it's gift bag.

 
 I love the glitter, music and beauty of the holidays.  I love the simple beauty of snow on branches and the crunch of it underfoot as I head out to the birdfeeders.  Frost on the windowpane somehow makes things look magical and serene.  There might be greed and corruption in the world but my prayer is that I can keep the peace of Christmas in my heart all year long.  And no matter where you are I wish the same for you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment