Friday, December 6, 2013

Slow Down and Enjoy the Moment

Oh my gosh.  The Christmas cards aren't done.  Nothing is wrapped and my Christmas shopping is barely started.  The quilt border is still in pieces across my dining room table.  Should I put it away now before Christmas or just keep on plugging away at it?  I haven't made any fudge yet - or cookies!  Christmas can't happen without those two important items.  We have our holiday table here at work next week and I have to plan the food for that.  These were just some of the thoughts scittering through my brain as I placed a few of my little Christmas decorations on my desk here at work.

I really shouldn't be spending eight hours here at my desk when there are so many things at home that need my attention.  But if I stay home then I worry about everything at work that needs to be done.

And I wonder why there is stress during the holidays.











The years will go by regardless, one Christmas melting into another, changing the lines and contours of our face and bodies.  No matter how we stress about the lack of time, things somehow manage to get done.  Here are my little sisters and I at an earlier Christmas (at least 45 years ago) when things were simple.  Or maybe it was just that our parents had the role of making the  holiday happen.  



And here we are again, stress free on a sunny spring day in Key West two years ago with our friend Barb. I'm the one in the straw hat and my sisters are in the dark blue.

No matter what we do or how we fuss and worry time goes on.  So I have decided to try to enjoy the moment this Christmas.  Not fret and gripe when things don't turn out exactly the way I planned.  Who put me in charge anyway?   I just want to enjoy the magic of the season, the love of family and close friends and the beauty of nature while we celebrate the wonderful gift to the world.  
The birth of the baby Jesus.

And I have decided to steal my friends Lynnette's recipe for one of my contributions at  the holiday table next week.   A wonderful light combination of red pepper hummus, plain yogurt and chopped celery, onion, green peppers and tomato served with crackers.


 I hope you all can enjoy the moment in the next few weeks and have a wonderful Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment