Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Time to Quilt and be Grateful!

Spring continues to play the cat and mouse game with us here in central Iowa.  We get a few days of wonderful weather when I dream of taking all my plants outside to their summer home and then we are slammed with another cold front.  But we are getting wonderful much needed rain that I definitely can't complain about.  The grass is growing green and lush and flowering trees are in bloom wherever I turn.  It's just too cold and wet to get outside and enjoy it.  But our time is coming. 

While the horrible storms were slamming the midwest this weekend I was slammed with the flu.  Talk about a lost weekend.  I was barely able to stick my nose out the door.  When I did finally surface enough to turn on the television I was horrified to see that tornadoes had once again ripped their way through middle America.  Seeing images of homes in ruins my heart went out to those people who have lost so much.  While laying on the couch I looked around the house and envisioned what I would grab while I was running to safety. 



The photo of my parents and grandparents, the old violin that belonged to my grandpa, photo albums, and how could I grab all my quilts??  This wall quilt hangs on the quilt rack above my sewing table.





Of course the only way I would be able to try to save anything is if I had warning and so many times there is no warning.  You grab onto your loved ones, your precious pets and pray that your home will be spared.  There is just so much that I take for granted and in that moment of realization I was overwhelmed by the way we have been blessed.  I am so grateful for the family and friends who make my life so happy.  I determined to not take for granted one little moment but to savor the joy and blessings that each day brings.



This little tulip quilt always makes me smile.  It is so bright and cheerful and says spring each time I hang it on the wall.  I drew the flowers and vines free hand in the middle of the quilt and then on the outside border I used one of my favorite flower stencils.





I have used this stencil on numerous quilts.  It is a fun one to quilt and the meandering lines flow smoothly.














 In the meantime I have been using this rainy time when I am stuck inside to quilt on my current work in progress.  I think the interlocking circles are working nicely.
I
 While the storms of life blow at us, I wish you all the blessings of quiet time to stitch and enjoy all that we have been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment